Why would I need a crown?
Crowns are an ideal way to repair teeth that have been broken, or have been weakened by decay or a very large filling. A crown could be used for a number of other reasons, for example:
- You may have a discoloured filling and would like to improve the appearance of the tooth
- You may have had a root filling and need a crown to protect what is left of the tooth
- A crown may help to hold a bridge or denture firmly in place.
- Will the crown be noticeable?
- The crown will be made to match your other teeth as closely as possible. The shade of the surrounding teeth will be recorded, to make sure that the colour looks natural and matches those teeth.
How long will the Crown last?
- How long your crown lasts depends on how well you look after it. Properly cared for crowns should last for many years. Your dental team will be able to tell you how long your crown may be expected to last.
We offer both NHS and private crowns. White crowns are not available on the NHS for back molar teeth. If you require a crown on a back tooth and you wish this to be white, we can provide you with a white porcelain crown privately. We are also happy to provide a more aesthetically pleasing crown on front teeth, with no black margins. This is known as an E-max crown and is available privately.